April 30, 2009

Part II

Let me talk about the hours that I don't mention
The minutes...that might not hold your attention
Suspension...in time. Invention...from thought to rhyme
When seconds pass like days like bulls in grass we graze
The haze...when the air is quiet the craze and aftermath of riot
Sorting beans-no spoons-but mouths to feed
I'm sickened by thoughts of first world greed
There's not much to have when there's not much you need
Holding them close so they can finally sleep
Turning my head so they don't see me weep
The light in their eyes when they learn something new
Just holding my camera means so much to you
Not one drop of water to wash a shirt
Covered each day with the same red dirt
But I don't notice.
This is the norm the way you transform the eye of the storm
When clothes seem new 'cause yesterday they weren't on you
And each day you wear two of the same left-footed shoe
There's not much to do...or even say but you
Beg me to stay, please stay. I pray...for you
Each day for you. Let's play...at least with a word
Or two. Since the concept of a toy seems so absurd
We all eat from the same dirty bowl
In the ground we all share the same hole
But that's real.
I watch you change I watch you grow
There's a lot to watch when time moves so slow
Sleeping head-to-toe with no more beds as far as you know
'Have-not' is all you've ever known
Not one thing to claim your own
Splitting wood to feed the fire to feed the mouths
With strong desire you desperately inquire what it takes to make it
Higher.
To have a fan to take a stand to be a man to be called
American...
'Cause if Ameri-CAN then maybe they will
Hold out their hand with a dollar bill and say,
"Hey Africa, we got you this time..."
'Cause if there's blood to spill and resources to steal
Then shouldn't our suffering be on the list to kill?
Please just share a meal let me feel what you feel
When you feel...privileged. See I've never known
What it's like to take something for granted
When I want to eat seeds need to be planted
The sun is falling it's time to sleep
So up the steep dirt hill I creep
Since I can't be out after dark...that's when my skin color difference
Gets stark
Tired from a day filled with nothing to borrow
But you still say you pray that you'll see me
Tomorrow.

No comments: