May 18, 2009

Derailed

Last week two of my good friends were caught in the middle of gunfire in downtown Nairobi. It happened while riding on a normal matatu route when mechanics flared up over the debate of certain property with the government. The girls said they couldn't even tell from which way the shots were being fired, and to top it off, they were mugged while running for cover. Just another day in Kenya....

Tensions have risen with my current NGO...since finding ZanaAfrica my activity has exponentially increased. Not only am I spending time with kids participating in running empowerment groups in schools within Kibera, but I'm helping to play a part in building up this new NGO...from website development to streamlining the business plan. When you realize that government is the problem in Kenya, your efforts need to be turned to a project that initiates redirecting the power to generate income back to the people. I couldn't be happier with my new project, and apparently GVN/VICDA(my current program)is not finding this to coincide with their motives. I'm as confused as you are, since we're all here for the same reason, but they want to kick my partner and I out of the program since we're not working on a weekly basis playing with kids at one of their schools. I'm a little defeated at the moment trying to understand how this is acceptable, but excited at the discovery of a project that puts my skills and passion to work. Additionally, the money given to GVN for my stay here will be reimbursed(in part) so that I can pay for my own accommodation and transport until my flight out of Kenya to South Africa on August 1st.

I came to Kenya with a one way ticket and an existential crisis, hoping to find a clue and a conscience. I'll let you know how it turns out...

No comments: